- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- If you’re using curry leaves, put them into the pan then add garlic, ginger, chili, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon and orange zest.
- Stir-fry for about three minutes
- Add the orange juice, tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Season and bring to a boil.
- Add the chopped beetroot and sugar, and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the beetroot is tender. You can check by prodding it with the point of a knife.
- While waiting for the beetroot to cook, wash the beetroot leaves. Remove and discard any thick stalks and chop the leaves roughly.
- Once the beetroot is tender, add the leaves into the pan and cook until tender.
- Check the leaves for seasoning. If they’re tender, squeeze half of the lime or lemon juice.
- Take a taste test and add more juice and sugar if desired. Then stir in the chopped coriander.
- Serve the curry topped with crushed nuts (optional, but recommended).
Keep in mind not to overcook beetroot. That’s the key to a perfect beetroot curry. If it gets squishy, it can lose a lot of its flavorful properties. (Related: Drink beetroot juice and enjoy these health benefits.)
With its tasty mix of healthful ingredients, this recipe will add color to your meals while conferring your body with various health benefits. Spice up your dinner with this vegan beetroot curry.